I have nothing to write about really. The baby feels very alien right now, and does somersaults inside my very compact belly. I have about 6 weeks left and people are just now telling me that I am finally looking pregnant. Right...
Anyway, I have so many cucumbers(anyone want some?)that I need a simple recipe for making pickles. I have about 10 in my fridge and another 14 growing in the garden and should be ready to pick in a day or two. I bought some jar caps and lids, vinegar, and dill, so I'm going to google a recipe before the cucumbers go bad. Too bad I can't eat them raw, not even one little slice :( My grandparents used to live in Kathleen, and at some point we lived with them. They had two gardens, one vegetable and one was just corn and my grandmother, Mutti is what we called her, pickled cucumbers and they were the best pickles that I ever tasted. They weren't like bread and butter flavored, but they weren't crunchy dill either. They were like soft, dill "chips"; she didn't pickle them whole or in slivers, she sliced them into discs. Anyway, maybe my own instinctual twist on a simple recipe will come out tasting like hers. That would be awesome!
1 month ago


3 comments:
Are they small enough to pickle whole? They stay crisper that way. And add just a little bit of garlic to the dill. And use pickling salt.
I think that's it.
An abundance of cucumbers? You lucky! Why can't you eat them raw--you don't like the taste? If you ever want to get rid of your extras, we'll gladly eat them all up. My family loves cucumber slices soaked in vinegar. I also like to slice them up with some onions and tomatoes and soak them in vinegar, olive oil, and a litte sugar. Yummy.
That sounds so good Wendy! When do you get back? Cucumbers raw are giving me heartburn, so I haven't been able to enjoy them at all!
Post a Comment