CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I've buckled down and decided to get some of my priorities straight. Like reading. I love to read. I guess I love reading more than I love sleeping, since I'll sacrifice precious hours of dark silence to the newest novel that I have, instead of cuddling up next to my honey and passing out. As a Mormon we're counseled by our leaders, as well as commanded by the Lord, to read our scriptures. My bedside table is set up with my scriptures next to my lamp, and when I climb in the bed with my other book, I place it on top of my scriptures. Ok, starting to get the picture? So, I challenged my young women at church as well as myself to just start out reading five minutes or more before going to bed- which for me means "before reading anything else." Unfortunately, the only set of scriptures that I can find of mine at the moment are my Finnish set, but after a week of reading them, I am excited to be back studying the language as well as reading. If Adam is still awake when I come to bed, I'll read my five minutes out loud to him, which he can't understand a word of but I translate the gist of it after I'm done. I've noticed a lot of improvement in my stress level and attitude during the day. I'm so glad too, cause I've been pretty short-fused this pregnancy. So I feel like I'm getting not just spiritual blessings, but academically uplifted as well.

Here's an example of a verse from the Book of Mormon:

Ja tapahtui, että minä, Nefi, sanoin isälleni: Minä menen ja teen sen, mitä Herra on käskenyt, sillä minä tiedän, ettei Herra anna ihmislapsille mitään käskyjä valmistamatta heille keinoa toteuttaa sitä, mitä hän käskee heidän tehdä.

And click Välittääkö Jumala siitä, mitä teen elämälläni? to hear how Finnish sounds, but you have to click on the video of the girl.

0 comments: