CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Singing Time

Chrissy is so funny. She LOVES to sing. I'll hear her humming or la-la-la-ing. Some of her favorite songs are "Boom Boom Pow"- Black Eyed Peas(thanks Nana), which she just says "boom, boom, boom" over and over, and "Hey Soul Sister"- Train. I really like it when she sings this one. I learned the chords to it, so as I start to play the chorus, she joins in singing "Heh-ay, heeeeeh-ay, heeeh-ay. To-niiiight". Although her "tonight" is mainly just "iiiiii..."- cute right?! And I thought Tripp was musical, but she's started singing at an earlier age than the other two. Erick likes to sing "Old MacDonald", but he's a little shaky on the second line of "and on that farm..." so he asks me to sing it with him. I don't mind. I sing all the time. Sometimes I sing about what I'm about to have them do- like take a nap, or eat lunch. I have been known to sing a punishment or two, which was probably a punishment in itself, but it brightens my mood. Tripp has been watching episodes of Speed Racer on huluPlus and sometimes I hear him singing "Go Speedracer" to his own special tune :)
I have always wanted a family like the Von Trapps- you know, everybody sings and it's not just all in unison. I've asked a few mothers that have grown children who attend choir with them, or participate in musical numbers as a family, what their secret is of getting their children interested in singing. One said to sing all the time- I checked my little mental box off on that one. Another said to bring them with you to choir and anything else musical that I might lead or direct or participate in. All good advice. But I also worried- what if my boys take after my husband who, although he sings very well, refuses to sing in public and only sings in the car when he thinks your sleeping? He did that with my mom, and it was so funny when she said, "Wow Adam, you have a good voice," and he said, "I thought you were asleep!"
And yet another mother assured me that her husband never sang, not because he didn't want to, but because he couldn't carry a tune, but he always supported them and came to their performances. I'll have to make sure Adam does at least that!
I guess if I ever record Chrissy singing I will post it on here, it is too cute.

3 comments:

Lisa Cook said...

That is so awesome that Chrissy is singing Black-eyed-peas and Train songs! Cute!!! You have a beaUtiful voice and your kids will like music because it's around them. I can't sing a flip but Ethie loves to sing and dance cause I always have music playing. I also love that Flight of the Conchords just started playing on your blog! Brabra, hahaha!!!

Eve said...

Thanks Lisa! Yeah, that's one of my fave songs, ha ha

Valarie said...

I sing to Sy a lot as well - I don't have a voice like yours, but it is serviceable, and he seems to like it ;) I too sing about our daily goings on, about the food I'm giving him, about the people around us... and I'm totally going to steal your idea to sing to assign punishments once he's at an age to sometimes be punished ;)