I'm glad that I don't have to drive to Atlanta everyday for work, sorry Mom, and worry about having to find gas. I mean who cares about the fact that it's over $4 a gallon, where is it? I'm kind of glad that I am being forced to keep money in my pocket, and to have an excuse for staying home in order to conserve gas, but man. Some people have to work, thus need gas. Again, sorry Mom. When things settle down, then I'll go back to complaining about gas prices. It makes me wish I was back to renting a room from a guy named Edward and riding my bike to work. Of course I wouldn't have my wonderful husband and two kids, but it was a nice time in my life. Very basic. No TV, and I don't think I even had a radio, just a CD player. Oh, there was a computer, but it ran on hamster-energy and no internet connection.
I went through a very rough winter there. My window was painted shut except for an inch gap at the top. So despite my efforts with an electric heater, sleeping bag, and a few blankets, I got real sick. Both-my-ears-clogged-up-sick. But I did get in a lot of painting and I got better at chess. That was one thing the computer was good for, but then I got to where I was beating it all the time. 
I know what you're thinking. Bruce looks a little grey, but the flash reflected. I painted him in acrylic, about 2.5x3 feet. It was a monster. Bruce kicked my butt, ha ha. I much prefer to paint in watercolor. Easier for me to manipulate and I get more satisfied results, for me.
Like this painting.

I love chickadees. I saw them a lot when I was in Finland. This particular painting was for an art project in college. It won second ribbon at the fair, and now resides on my mother-in-law's wall as a gift. Portraits are easier in watercolor as well, because acrylic dries so fast and it's kind of hard to mix the same exact color. I guess if I was really into acrylic I would be better at remembering and predicting color to color ratio and mixing, but I'm not. I did paint a picture of Erick in acrylic, and I'm thinking of doing a portrait of Tripp in clay, like a relief in slab. I've done it with Elvis, Bob Marley, Bruce Lee, again, and Marilyn Monroe. I'm still waiting for the latter to come out of the kiln. Speaking of Tripp, his secret is that he has a tooth. Isn't that great! Not if you're the one that's nursing him. Yep, that's me and yes, he is a biter. Not too bad yet, but he's got a temper. I'm sure I'll be reciprocating the love.
10 months ago


4 comments:
I love chickadees too! Beautiful! I love that you are an artist.
I'm so glad you put your art on your blog. I'd love to see more. I still remember a lot of the great stuff you taught at the watercolors class last year. You have an amazing talent!
Awesome! I like watercolor better too. Your paintings were always brilliant, but man, you've outdone yourself. Beautiful!
That sucks that Tripp's a biter. Owww! I'm eagerly (ha-ha) awaiting Silas' first breakthrough. It's coming. It's too late for me to stay up and read all night, but I'm really, really excited about diving into your blog. I love a good dip into someone else's universe. Take care!
Oh I love your paintings!!! You are fantastic.
I wish we lived in a place that had sidewalks so you could ride bikes everywhere!
Post a Comment