When my mom starts talking politics, the world's status seems so apocalyptic. Everything has a black cloud hanging right over it waiting for lightening to fry it to ashes. I'm not very happy about who got to be president or all the things that he is doing really, but I have to have some optimism. My mom just painted a very dark picture of embryos with stem cells being sucked out of their spines as they're being aborted. It's hard to be happy for while after you hear things like that are now legal. I feel like I should being doing something activist-like, instead of cleaning my home for a book club meeting, which I was very excited about, and still am. But I need rays of sunshine and silver linings, but mom doesn't give me those as she throws out cold, hard facts-- which I would look up, but then it would just make me more sad (and I did look this up). I don't like it. I believe in saving lives, but to take stem cells from babies and then "throw" the babies away because they aren't wanted is tragic. I have maybe a not so appropriate analogy, but not trying to make the issue light, it's like the movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Boxes of chocolate bars are being torn open for a golden ticket, while the bars are discarded, thrown to the floor for the next "opportunity" for a golden ticket. Science hopes for "golden tickets" all the time, and maybe I'll be put in a similar situation so as not to be so judgmental. But I would rather save the baby than just use it's stem cells.
10 months ago


1 comments:
You have no idea how bad this stuff lights my fire! ...but I tend to be more like you and shut my ears, focusing on things that are in my immediate control...things that make me happy. I just need that right now. Otherwise, I would be flaming mad and bawling all the time! It sickens me that on one hand they are so quick to use innocent "unwanted" human embryos for their own purposes and discard them, and then on the other hand (down here in GA) they are trying to limit IVF procedures that would benefit people like me that deal with infertility and want nothing but to create embryos for the purpose they were meant: to create a baby! A baby of my very own! And yet because of some crazy, random fluke incident that everyone is up in stirs about (gee thanks, Octomom.) the government thinks they have to once again step into our lives and aparently decide how many babies we are allowed to have! Does CHINA ring a bell to anyone?! I don't see them telling some crack head mom on the streets how many babies she's allowed to produce! No, let's make things more difficult for the women that have already been through a million struggles trying to get pregnant, and actually WANT to love and care for their babies. Do you see something wrong here?! ~sigh~ See, this is why I can't talk about this kind of stuff. I'll settle for book club, too, Eve.
Post a Comment